My Kitchen herbal nook...

Friday, March 25, 2011

As I dusted off my little herbal family altar, I began thinking of how rare it is to see such a space in other homes. I wondered if there were others whom had that special space  laid in view to all who entered. The thought of sharing it with you came from a post I read over at the Green Woman's blog. My sacred space. My altar of life containing items that span almost a lifetime for me.

On the bottom shelf I have my special trinkets. Items with special meanings also found or given to me through the span of my adult life. To name a few, one is the Glass heart which inspired Panda's Crow girl costume & story of this last Halloween. A special sea stone discovered on Coquina beach walking with an old flame. It has the perfect 8 shape hole in its core, a stone which is said to be of great luck to the finder.
3 antique keys bought during the first Mother daughter trip Panda & I had. And a heart shaped rock found while playing in a creek with my wee ones during a hike not too long ago. 
On the second to bottom shelf I have our most often used Apothecary of herbs. From ones used daily in our Tea time to those used medicinally. I have yet to have their labels printed out in the old Apothecary look I have worked on. Not having a printer has prolonged the matter.
There are some herbs missing due to not having enough space but I am eyeing the very top 2 shelves for organizing the left out jars. I have a cherished picture of my baby brother and his lovely wife, just below my most cherished gift from her. A plaque sculpture of the Triple Moon Goddess she picked up while in Ireland, on her return trip to the states after serving our country overseas. {From the works of Wild Goose studios in Kinsale, Ireland } She shared that when she saw it, she immediately thought of me & had to bring it back.

The second to the top shelf holds our array of antique tea cups and ware. I removed the wine glass spacers just for this purpose. I also have special pictures of my children spread throughout this nook. Ones that bring a smile to my face and memories of the moment. The very top shelf houses my never used glass dessert cups of my Naturewood dishes. All the more reason to put them away in a cupboard & use the space for more herbal jars. A few special tokens up there as well. The last yarrow flower of the season hung to dry. A swarvoski crystal clock from The Captains month long trip to Ireland the which he returned from just a week before I met him. The crystal bride/groom given to me from a cousin that adorned our wedding cake table.
 
To anyone else, these items mean nothing. Maybe even seen as clutter. But to me, it is a nook full of memories & moments. Smiles and love. My altar of family & life.
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...