Summer Mantel:Take Two {adding reclaimed shutters}

Thursday, July 14, 2011




 

 

There was something missing from my "Beachy" mantel. I couldn't put my finger on it yesterday. Then last night as I was getting ready for bed I remembered some free shutters that I picked up by the side of the road on trash day a few months ago. Perfect!! You know how a flashbulb goes off in your mind?




A fast, easy and free solution to my decorating dilemma! 




Before









So this morning I dusted off those old shutters and dug through my spraypaint stash for some paint. I painted the first coat the same "aqua" color as the frame on my mantel. And then when it was finished drying, I added "heirloom white" over the top.







The last thing I did was get my trusty mouse sander and I roughed it all up so the delicious aqua peeks through as well as the original brown color and the bare wood. I love the dimension that sanding adds!!






Then I put it on my mantel. I opened the shutters a little so that the reflection of the mirror still comes through and lights up the room. Then I rearranged some of the mantel items.





And I put the little canvas pennant at the top of the mantel. I got the little sewn pennant shapes from The Canvas Corp. I love the plain canvas with my beach theme.










I think my mantel is done.


{For now -- lol!!}






I put my Summer Subway Art above my entry cabinet. I decided it didn't really go with my Beachy Mantel. But I still really love it!







PS -- While my shutters were drying, I ran to Home Depot and got some samples for my kitchen makeover. Here's what we have so far. Any opinions??  the cabinets are now white so I was thinking a warm grey would be pretty....














xoxoxo




PS -- I'm linking this up to Beth's Tutorials &Tips Party. Check it out!!


















Labels: , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...