Hiccups & More in TN

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hello Everyone!  Thank you for keeping the Amaze Me Monday blog party going strong while I’m out of town.  I love seeing all your projects. 

Let me catch you up-to-date incase you don’t follow me on Facebook.    I hit the open road with 3 boys in an RV on Thursday.  It felt like forever before we actually got going because the first thing I need to do was to fill up with fuel and propane, and bless the poor boy that helped me because I don’t really think he knew what he was doing.  It took 45 minutes! Next,  the boys were whining at the sheer thought of walking anywhere at Loretta Lynn’s (yes, for athletes, NO ONE walks anywhere… everyone rides some kind of pit bike or cart.) and so I had to make a quick trip to Charlotte to rent a golf cart. 

I didn’t get far on my travels when the gas gauge decided not to work.  Oh just great!   Quickly, I figured I would just use my trip odometer to determined when I need to refuel.   About a hundred miles into our trip, I got to thinking to myself….. “I wonder if the other gauges are working correctly?” Well, I got my answer to that question pretty quickly when I was pulled over by a cop!  Oh yeah, you read that right!!  I was wondering what on earth is he pulling me over for???  Well, the polite officer kindly told me that I was going 74 in a 60 mile an hour zone.  NO WAY!  Honestly my speed odometer was reading 63.  He let me off with a warning.  I don’t think it was my innocent smile that convinced him, yet maybe it was my WHITE knuckles and  blistered hands from squeezing on the steering wheel so tight!!!

Reminder:  I did mention that this was not a vacation for me.  Right?

 RV slide outs

Thursday:  We arrived safe and sound and parked next to some friends of ours.  The first thing I asked my son, “Do you have any bars on your cell phone?”  He replied, “Yeah!  I have full bars!!!”  For the first year ever, there is cell service at Loretta’s!!!  :-D

While setting up the RV, my son realized that the two slide outs would not work.  All you have to do is push a button and they should pop out!  Won’t you know…. there were more than enough helpful males around to help tackle our problem, but only one was quick enough to figure out that we had a blown fuse!

Friday:  I spent most of the day cleaning the RV.  I have learned over time that it is best to wait until you reach your destination to do your cleaning.  Why? By the time I get out of the drivers seat, the kids will have had every bag, box, and can of food and beverages opened and spilled all over!  Yep, it’s the cold hard truth about my kiddos…. their little slobs.  ha ha

  RV Outdoor rug

Saturday:  Made a trip to Wal-mart to pick up a few things I forgot to pack and for those darn fuses.  Amazing, I know, with all the list I made for myself!  I picked up this great 9x12 rug for under $50!!!  and it’s reversible.  Whose knew that the RV section had some descent looking rugs?

Sunday:  Was a whorl wind of a day.  Registration and visiting all of Austin’s sponsors took a good bit of the day.

RV Door

Monday:  Practice day!  I thought Austin looked good during practice.  When I got back to the pits to talk to him, he felt as if you didn’t look and ride comfortable on the track.  He’s very nervous.  Most rider’s here would agree that just being here one can not help but feel an immense amount of pressure.   

I stepped inside the RV to get the mechanic something and then it happened…..   I Couldn’t Get OUT!  The door broke.  A piece inside the door broke !!  Ugggghhhhh

RV Backdoor

I know have two options.  Crawl through the front driver’s/passenger’s doors or use the back cargo door!  What an absolute pain. 

Did I mention that this is not a vacation for me?

Propane tank issues

Later Monday Night:  Walked in to the RV to a strong smell of gas!  Propane Gas!  Turns out with the combination of the young man at the gas station over filling the tank and the extreme heat here in TN, the gas was bleeding itself out. Out an into the inside of the RV! The gauge was reading so far over full!!  Again, the neighbor RVer to the rescue!!  We very very very carefully opened the release valve to let out some gas--- in between golf carts and rhinos flying by in the pit areas (this is how the teens (and some parents)  entertain themselves at night.  Yes, my kiddos would be one of them!)

Needless to say, we slept with the windows open all night hoping no one had to drag our limp bodies out in the morning from carbon monoxide poisoning.   

Hey, did I ever mention that this would NOT be a VACATION for me? 

Sounds like I’m having a great time.  Right?  I don’t mean to whine in your ear, just thought I would give a quick update because if I wait till the end of the week I forget all the fun that I have had so far.  Seriously though, I love being here with my boys (but wish the Hubs and daughter were here too) and I have taken some time for myself…..

  • gave myself a mani-pedi
  • tried out the “Sock Bun Curls” that I saw on Pinterest (I’ll share my experience with you later)
  • a nice quiet walk each morning
  • visited with friends
  • even did a little reading

Tuesday (today)-  Is the first of the three races for my son!  I am nervous.  Not because I worry about him getting hurt, I have too much faith for that, but because I want him to do well.  He has worked really hard training both on and off the bike; I feel like he really deserves to do well.  If he can stay calm and ride like he does when he’s practicing, he will be great.    Please say a pray for him.  Thank you.

Carrie_thumb[5]

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...