Chalk Paint Pros and Cons

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I had a big post all typed out listing the pros and cons, in my opinion, of Annie Sloan’s chalk paint, but then I realized I might be acting too quickly to lay it all out on the line when in fact I have only used two of the products one time.  So in fairness, I have decided to save the entire list for another time and share with everyone my first reaction.

The PROs:

The WAX.   I must admit that I am in love the AS clear wax.  It was easy to apply and easy to rub off, but the real WOW factor was in the finish, smooth and creamy like butter.  This step alone will make you look as if you were a professional at restoring furniture!

The COLORS:   While there isn’t a large selection of colors to choose from, the ones that are available couldn’t be more lovely.   In fact,  I have an idea for selecting the perfect color for a piece of furniture prior to ever picking up a paint brush.  I will be sharing my idea soon.

The CONS:

No PRIMING?  I’m not so sure on that!  I was very disappointed when it took 3 coats of paint to cover over my chest of drawers and I can still see spots (not sure if they are water spots or what??) peaking through my paint.  Ugh!

Chalk-Paint-needs-primer

{I tried to trace just outside the discoloration}

The spots are not super noticeable via this photograph but it’s there and I notice it!  Also it angers me that I went against my better judgment and didn’t prime first.

The BRUSH STOKES.    This could be partly my fault.  A number of facts could have played a part in why I had brush stokes,  using a brush instead of spraying the paint on, weather was too warm and humid, the paint appeared too thick but I did not want to alter it for my first use, and I could have applied the second coat before the first coat dried.  

I found that if I used a fine sanding sponge between coats I could levitate the noticeable brush strokes, but doing so left me with a chalk dust everywhere! 

So there you go, my opinion, for what it’s worth?!?!?  I have another color that I purchased at the same time as the Old White and hope to find the perfect piece to try AS Chalk Paint one more time before I decide yay or nay.

Carrie

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...