Foyer Chest of Drawers

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Please come on in and meet the new member of our family. 

Welcoming-fall-autumn-foyer

I must start by saying that I am sorry that I teased everyone with all the color options that I shared in my Photoshop collage.   I really am thinking about repainting her (yes, I am going to refer to her in the female sense), but something stopped me quickly….. the approaching holidays!!  

Please , please, please tell me that the majority of you decorate your homes with the holidays in mind.   The color that I am thinking about painting her  just wouldn’t go with my winter holiday decor.  Is that silly?

So if I remember,  in January, I think I might try giving her a new color.

Chest-of-Drawers---Fall---Autumn--Foyer--PB-Mercury-Pumpkins--dittle-dattle

I purchased this sweet chest of drawers at the local flea market about a month ago.  From looking at the before photo you don’t see all the chips on her top and at the drawer edges.  I could have fixed it  and restained, but I have a lot of stained furniture in my home and really wanted to add a painted piece. 

Chalk-Paint--old-white--chest-of-drawers

I broke down and placed my first order of chalk paint.  This piece is painted in Old White.

Distressed-chest-of-drawers

Distressed.

photocollege-Chest-of-drawers

Here is the reason that this piece took me a month to finish~

I added another top over the existing top. (see top left photo)  This was way over my head and I had to have my Dad do most of the work.  Two Poplar planks were glued together, then the edges were routered to marry the two tops, and then stained a dark Walnut.

I used the original knobs.

I love this unique copper emblem from the manufacture in the side of one drawer.  I didn’t show a photograph of it  but the drawers are dovetailed (a sign of good craftsmanship).

In this top drawer there is a divider.(bottom right photo)  I don’t know much about furniture, does anyone know it’s purpose? 

Chest knobs

I was a little shocked at the size of the holes behind the knobs and that’s part the reason why I didn’t change out the knobs.  The other reason is that the ones that I want to replace them with haven’t gone on sale yet.  lol. 

Walnut-stained-top

New top in it’s dark Walnut stain.

PB-murcury-glass-pumpkin-display

Ooh la la.  My Pottery Barn mercury pumpkins!!!  Love. Love. Love them. 

New-foyer-chest-of-drawers

Please ignore the awful looking floor.  New floors are the next thing on my to-do list for this foyer!  

Later I will share with you my thought on AS chalk paint.

PS.  Doesn’t the new chest look awesome with the new foyer mirror?!?!

Carrie

Labels: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...