New life & purpose for FREE Garden nursery stands

Monday, September 19, 2011

While I was out searching in this late season for thyme plants, with no luck of course, I came across a most exciting find. While visiting an upscale garden center, I spotted in the parking lot 2 produce/plant display tables with a free sign. After checking them over & noting the only thing "wrong" with them is the effects of outdoor weather aging them to no longer being in a store fixture value state. I dashed home for the truck & loaded up my treasures. Once home I got to work on refurbishing them for their new use.
~ This one can lay flat or position in 3 various heights. The warped board is on a section you can pull out or tuck back under the leaning top.~
~the 3 sections are multi positionable with a flat small section on the top. Pervect spot for a jar of sunflowers or a small vintage scale.
Where one saw trash, I saw treasure! With a little help of sanding, black spray paint & some diluted Kilz PLUS a few things for the sign display {not pictured above}, I was able to give new life & purpose to something put out in their Free wood broken pallet corner.
After cleaning them off & sanding just a little, I wanted to keep it looking aged, so I diluted white exterior Kilz 50/50 with water and painted the wood pieces. I used a flat black spray paint on the metal.
After dried, I used a fine sandpaper to go over it with a light hand to add some "wear" for extra charm. Hard to see in the pictures but it's there.
As for the wooden display sign, I did the above method plus bought a very thin board of wood, cut it to size & spray painted with Chalkboard paint. Slid it in the side slot & despite the warping top which would have been near impossible to accommodate, it came out just as I pictured.
I left the rust on the tab wing nut being it was a perfect compliment to the aging effect of the job.
I nabbed these for Mr.J to use for his Front yard garden produce stand. He had stopped in the day I brought them home so the surprise was ALMOST ruined. I guess it was a good thing he was able to see them in their raw state. He even made the comment he liked them as they are but... I had bigger plans.
Now they have a fresh clean look that I hope will bring him happiness, catch the eye & buying temptation of passerby's for his Honesty box produce stand.
I finished my garden haven, well almost. Another trash to treasure project with a few new items complimenting my Warmer season haven. Catch me next time for a trip out to the garden!
Sweet dreams,
 ~Tammie

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...