Painted Striped Nautical Rug {tutorial}

Monday, September 19, 2011






My family Room/Kitchen Redo is almost done and I'm so excited!! One of the last projects I had to do was find a rug that went in the new space. My new kitchen and family room is a really pretty shade of grey {Sharkey Grey by Martha Stewart}.





So I decided to make a slightly nautical striped rug to go with my turquoise couch.  I used the same paint color as the walls to paint the rug.





This was definitely the easiest painted rug that I have done so far, and also my favorite!!  I found this rug on Pinterest that I loved, but it was $800 --






So I went over to Ikea and picked up this ERSLEV Rug for $59.00 --







Here's what I did to make the rug:










  • I measured the rug and then divided the sections up so that they were even. How many stripes and how thick they are will depend on how wide your rug is. I ended up having 5 thick stripes. I thought thicker looked a little more nautical. 

  • Once I figured out how wide to make the stripes, I measured it out on my rug. The rug I used, from Ikea, had natural stripes and so it was super easy to measure out the stripes. 

  • I used Frog Tape to tape off the stripes. It worked great. So great, in fact, that I didn't have to make ANY touch ups! yay!! 

  • Then I rolled the paint on the rug. I actually started off with a darker color, and decided that the stripes were too dark and re-rolled them with the lighter {Sharkey Grey} color. 

  • I applied two coats of paint with a foam roller for best coverage. 

  • Then once it was dry, I peeled off the tape. 

  • And to make sure the rug stays looking clean, I sprayed on some Fabric Protection Spray. 













And coming up later this afternoon - information on my turquoise slipcover, inspired by Disney's Good Luck Charlie and a slipcover giveaway!!






xoxo














PS -- Check out the Master Bedroom Mood Boards over at Remodelaholic. I love seeing all of the great ideas from these awesome bloggers!!





And the winner's of the Krylon Glitter Blast 6 pack of spray paint AND $50 gift card are --


The winners of the Krylon Glitter Blast linky party are:


glitterblast


#46 Halloween Pillows -- Chapman Place  


#22 Metallic Secretary Desk  -- Twice Lovely

#95 Glittericious Birthday Crown -- My Sister's Suitcase 


#38 Metallic Sunburst Mirror -- Markham Street Designs

#23 Courtney’s Glitter -- A Little glass Box





Email me your address if you won, and I will get our prize to you :) jennifer@tatertotsandjello.com






I'm linking this up to Kellie's Fall Festival. 


Be sure to check it out!!!








Photobucket"



 And these fun parties - check them out!















BCD 125Tidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays





Labels: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...