DIY Cardboard Initial!

Saturday, October 29, 2011


As I'm sure many of you do, I constantly am thinking about the next DIY project I'm going to work on.  At times I become so overwhelmed on where to start I end up not doing anything.

I was sitting in the middle of my living room floor the other night trying to decide which project to work on and I began staring at the dresser in the living room.  Next thing I know I had gathered up a bunch of materials and was starting on my initial!

You'll need:

Cardboard (size varies depending on how big you want your initial)
Sharp scissors
Hot Glue Gun
Marker
Fabric of your choice
Tape
Ruler


I always have a stockpile of cardboard in the garage.  I use it for spray painting in the yard, for painting projects indoors, and to put under t-shirts when I'm painting them.

I found some cardboard that was fairly clean and the right size.  It had some gaps in it so I used my painter's tape to patch up that area.

First I traced out a rough "H" just to determine if the size was appropriate.  Then I used my ruler to make straight, evenly spaced lines for the "H."  I eyeballed the little tips at the top and bottom of the "H."  Now cut it out!


My cardboard was two thin pieces, so I used my painter's tape to hold the two pieces together and add some stability.

Grab your fabric!  Lay your initial down on the BACK of the fabric and trace closely to the edges.  My "H" looks the same any way I place it, but remember if you have an initial like "S" that you need to trace the initial backwards.

Once your initial is traced out cut it out, leaving about a 1/2-1 inch allowance.


Make small cuts around the edges so when you are folding the fabric over the edge it will have a more crisp look.

I didn't take pictures of the rest, but it's real simple.  Lay your cardboard back down on your fabric and glue the edges of the fabric onto the back of the cardboard.  Continue all the way around the initial until all the fabric edges are glued down!

I had to trim little pieces here and there.  Each initial will be different.

Now, YOU'RE DONE!  Sit back and admire your new decor!





This seriously took me about thirty minutes!  I used leftover fabric from my blue chair with furry fabric and cardboard that I had in the garage, so this project cost me $0!

You can make these as large or small as you want.  These are incredibly easy to do, so you could make multiple initials to spell out words or make a monogram to put above your bed!

Cheers!
Keeping It SimpleAnything RelatedTuesday To Do PartyPhotobucketmommahenscoopPhotobucketSomewhat Simple Catch a Glimpse ButtonTransformation ThursdayHookingupwithHoHfreckled laundryThe Shabby Nestbutton+FTF.jpgDesigner GardenUndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucketPhotobucket36th Avenue504 Main

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...