DIY Bottle Lamp

Wednesday, November 30, 2011


I love the large clear bottle lamps from Pottery Barn, but they're a little pricey for me {$210-$350 each}, so I decided to make my own for a lot less. {$40}

Inspiration Lamps

First find a large wine bottle or jug. I found mine in a basement at an estate sale.

The story: I decided to stop and look around at an estate sale not far from our store after a customer of mine told me they had great things. After walking through the entire house and basement with my hands full from all the great treasures, I found a whole closet full of old wine in these beautiful bright green and clear glass jugs for $3 each. I took advantage of this great find and grabbed 10 or more. People just kept eyeing me and asking me, "Your not going to drink that are you?" I said over and over again, "I'm not; I'm just using the empty bottles." They couldn't see past the nasty old wine in the bottles, all I was thinking was these bottles will make beautiful lamps and vases when I get them cleaned up! You never know what you’ll come across; I’m constantly on a search for great pieces to repurpose.

Next you will need a bottle lamp kit which you can purchase in any craft store or hardware store. You can find a cork in your bottle lamp kit which is to cover the opening of the wine bottle. Bottles in different sizes are also applicable to most bottle lamp kits. If not, have your local lighting or hardware store assist you in the parts you may need. I decided to run the cord from the socket instead of the base of the lamp, so I didn't have to drill a hole in the glass bottle. Finally find or buy a lampshade, harp and finial of your choice to finish off your bottle lamp, now it's ready to shine.

Thanks for stopping by!



Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...