Teen Lounge Updates

Friday, November 4, 2011

Good Friday afternoon!

I am so sorry for being so quiet this week, both here and on Facebook.  I have been very busy this week with projects, kids, and work.  I’m sure your story is much like mine, in it that I have very little time to actually do the things that I need/want to do, let alone, write, post, or tweet about it!  But you can be certain that if I’m quiet…. it just means that I’m up to something.  he he

Here is that latest updates for the teen lounge.

ikea-lighting-hallway-track-lighting

The lighting in this hallway was less than desirable. 

In the middle of this week I took a day for myself and went on a shopping spree!  It was fun to go by myself and to have an entire day of nothing but clear thinking without interruptions.  I could probably count on one hand the days that I have had to myself since having kids!  I wasn’t looking for a light for this hallway but at Ikea I spotted this curvy track light at a phenomenal price and had to give a try. 

Because there is this awkward ceiling/wall junction that accommodate the stairs leading to the attic, there isn’t a lot of room to fit a light or a straight track lighting.  This curvy track lighting fit the need perfectly!

Ikea-track-lighting---Hallway-lighting

Added bonus…   it adds a touch of coolness!!!

Teen-Lounge-Phase-#2

I sewed a few pillows from some remnant fabric that I had in my stash.  The fabric on the large cream pillow is so soft!!!

A few things that I have learned from making pillows over the years is…  1.  pull apart and pre-fluff the filler before stuffing  and 2.  Don’t over stuff the pillow.

And you may see a little bit of the new area rug that I also picked up from Ikea.  The kids and the hubby are less than excited about it.  They think it’s boring!  I told them that they need to trust me and that when everything comes together we won’t need or want the extra pattern on the rug.  Let’s hope that I am right!

*I finally hung my Ballard Theater Ticket Plaque!

Teen-Lounge-Chalkboard-Door

When I decided to convert our classroom into a “Teen Lounge” I knew I wanted to add a chalkboard.    In our old classroom setting, we had a dry eraser board that ALL the kids  loved to write on.  Like I mentioned before in a previous post, there isn’t a lot of wall space to work with.  

I thought about painting the entire wall with chalk paint, but then a few months back I “spied with my little eye” the perfect solution over at the fabulous Becca’s blog.  She was showing one of her many fabulous decorating tips when I spotted way off in the distance a chalkboard door.  I knew in an instant that it was the perfect solution!  (In fact in Becca’s most recent post she shows the chalkboard door close up!)

chalkboard-door

I’m not sure how Becca created her chalkboard door, but here is what I did.

1st-  I cut a thin board to cover the moulding details on the door.  I think it is called Masonite. (Dad, correct me if I’m wrong)  It’s both light weight and has a smooth finish.

2nd-  I painted the board with chalkboard paint.

3rd-  Hung the board to the door using 3M Command adhesive strips.  I used a total of 6.   If I ever want to remove the chalkboard I can without destroying the door!

4th-  I added moulding to the board using Liquid Nails adhesive.  I debated over this step.  I didn’t want the chalk dust to collect at the bottom or at the edges of the moulding.  (It’s just going to be one more thing that I’m going to have to clean).  In the end, I did add a very simple quarter-round molding  with the curve facing in.  I am really hoping that the round edge of the moulding will clean easier than if I used the square flat edge of the moulding.

When they are not using it I just love to write little quotes and motivation phrases for the kids!  Pinterest is great for finding new saying.

Thank you everyone for voting and sharing you opinion on the gallery wall.  I also picked up some supplies for that wall at Ikea this week!

Carrie

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...