Canning Bloody Mary mix

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Working at the local U Pick farm market has kept me very busy. It has also brought some great recipe's & inspiration for canning from many of the locals. I have been contemplating what will be in this year's Straight from the farm Holiday gift basket. I found one item that will for sure be included.
 Last week, a couple walks in for a few ingredients they needed for their current canning duty.
Bloody Mary Mix!
Now why didn't I think of that?! 
 I did find  a recipe of which those of you who like sweet peppers in theirs as well as a few other ingredients, hop over to the Runaway Spoon for a great post with her recipe for Bloody Mary mix {and this inspiring gift presentation & glass photo shared below !} Wonder where I can find some jug jars like that for canning...
Awesome Photo from The Runaway spoon

They kindly shared how they make theirs of which they had given as gifts until they began making wine a few years ago. This is great for when the tomatoes are dwindling down. You do not need much to make about 6-8 quart jars in 1 batch, depending on the tomato size and juices. This will make a GREAT mix of which is not too spicy or hot. Plenty of balance that can be spiced up more for others who like a kick but mellow enough for those who like to keep it medium.

Garden Bloody Mary Mix
40 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and quartered
3 jalapeno's, minced

2 large carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced OR use 1/4 cup lovage leaf minced OR 1 1/2 tablespoons celery seed

1 small onion, diced tiny
5 small garlic cloves, minced
5-6 tablespoons Horseradish, minced
1/4 cup parsley, minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons Red Hot brand hot sauce OR Tabasco sauce

Blanche tomatoes for ease in removing skin. If you have a tomato puree machine that removes seeds & skins, use that. otherwise, cook your skinned tomatoes over medium heat until softened enough to use in a food mill.
Run the tomatoes through the food mill to separate out the seeds.
In food processor or high speed blender, mix together ALL ingredient EXCEPT lemon juice & hot sauce. Once mixed well to the point there are no chunks, place liquid into stock pot and bring to a slow boil.
While this is being brought to a boil, ready your water bath canner & jars.
Once your mix is at a boil, add your hot sauce & lemon juice, mix well.
Pour this into sterilized jars, put on prepared lids & rings. 
 Process in a boiling water canner for 40 minutes.
These are great with Vodka mixed in when served chilled. Not a drinker? This STILL tastes great as a Virgin mix once chilled.

 I'm in the midst of picking our apples which decided to drop while I was away this week in Baltimore.Oh, I forgot to share what was going on.

 My baby brother Army & my Sister in law Marine had their baby! even better? I got to be there for it!
My niece, whom I have nicknamed Ginger snap due to her blonde red hair fuzz, is finally here. Well worth missing some of the apple picking time which has a very limited window and only comes once every 2 years.
We should have the Honey extractor within the next few weeks, so check back for the Honey Harvesting day we are to have with Panda's friends..well I call them "my heathens". They want to be here so I told them I'll feed them but they will not free load. Get prepared to be sticky!
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

Came upon this beautiful mountain site on my way home. The photo truly does not do the Nittany Mountain justice.


Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...