Health-i-fied Granola. Yes it is possible!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

I love granola.  
Although I wouldn't necessarily call myself a 'Granola' which brings images of Birkenstocks and Hippie Drum Circles to mind.  But I am a whole grain, working towards all natural foods kinda girl.  

I'm not quite ready to give up white sugar completely just yet, but in this recipe, I have.

I also have a friend that is a vegan.  This recipe would totally work for her.  
No butter, no eggs.

I kind of came up with this recipe as a hybrid of my previous Granola recipe
and one I learned at Shar's.  
I wanted to try a dairy free version that packed in some wholesome goodness, 
and still not turn out tasting like cardboard.  Yuck!  
I'm really pleased with the result and it has become my breakfast of choice lately.  
Although I did go to a Shar's class again today and they made some heavenly cream of wheat.  

Did I just type that?  Heavenly...Cream of Wheat?  Yep. 

It was the class favorite and it will certainly be breakfast for the fam tomorrow. 
 I will share.  I promise!


OK.  Back to the granola.

Health-i-fied Granola
(vegan)

First get 1 cup of Raisins.  Put them in a little bowl and cover them with water.  Let soak while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.

In another small bowl combine 3 Tbsp Chia Seeds and 6 Tbsp water.  Stir slightly and let sit.

Get out the following:
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 apple
1 ripe banana


Let's assemble the dry ingredients while the raisins and chia seeds soak up the water.

You will need the following, although it's completely flexible.  I'll just share what I used.

7 cups Rolled oats. (again, my favorite is Honeyville rolled 6 grain cereal)

2 cups coconut
2 cups chopped nuts of your choice.  (I used sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and chopped walnuts and almonds)
1/4 cup popped amaranth
1/4 cup ground flax

Now let's put the wet ingredients together.

Put the soaked and drained raisins, chia seeds, peeled banana, cored apple, maple syurp, honey, and coconut oil in the blender and blend until smooth.  It kind of looks like peanut butter to me.


Now add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir thoroughly.


Lastly, I put the granola on my dehydrator trays and let dry for about 4-6 hours.
I did try baking it as described in my previous recipe and it was still to wet.  I like it more crunchy.
The dehydrator was perfect!

You could easily add some craisins or dried cherries or blueberries at this point. 
Although this time I didn't.  I probably will next time, or go throw some in now.  Maybe.
I do have some craisins. Mmmm...

 Store in an airtight container.


Here's my breakfast of choice... well and champions!  
At least in my own mind. ;)

Equal amounts of granola and homemade applesauce.
No white sugar anywhere to be found.
Yeah me!


I hope you like it as much as I do!
Yummm...

Labels: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...