Yancey's Fancy Cheese & Mahogany Potatoes

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Part of bargain shopping is keeping an eye out for items that will be going on clearance.  Since I live in a very small town, our local grocer is easy to visit a few times a week while I'm out for other things.  Last week, I was able to find a great deal on my favorite Yancey's Fancy Cheese, Roasted Garlic.  Regularly $5.49, this cheese was half price, plus the cashier was training another employee and told her the price was $1.74 instead of $2.74 as marked.

They rang up 4 before we all realized what had happened, and the trainer didn't want to void the order, so she rang them all at that price!  Talk about being in the right place at the right time.  Anyway, I also had $0.50 coupons, which doubled, and paid with a gift card so I spent zero OOP for this tasty cheese!

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what I'm going to do with all that cheese...

One of my favorite places to eat is Mahogany Prime Steakhouse.  If you're ever in the Tulsa area, you really need to check them out.  The menu is a little pricey, but for a special occasion or tax deductible business meal, it's completely worth it.  We always order their Au Gratin Potatoes, and I've created a recipe similar to theirs.  Here's my version of Mahogany's Au Gratin Potatoes.

4-5 large Russet potatoes, baked and cooled
1-2 pints heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste
smoked Cheddar cheese, grated
butter

Grease a casserole dish with spray.  Slice the potatoes in1/4 inch rounds.  Pour small amount of cream in dish, then layer in potatoes; sprinkle with cheese, and season with salt & pepper.  Repeat with remaining ingredients, dotting in small bits of butter.  End by pouring small amount of cream over top.  Cream should almost cover all other ingredients.  Bake at 350 until golden on top. 

Don't blame me if you become addicted to this recipe. It's pretty much a heart attack in a dish!

I like to use the Smoked Cheddar Cheese from Swans Dairy in Claremore, Oklahoma, but it's not available year round. You can order the cheese during the cooler months from that link above.  When I can't get the smoked cheese, the Yancey's Roasted Garlic makes a wonderful substitute.

If you like Yancey's Fancy Cheese, be sure and write the company to let them know.  I did, and received several coupons, a note pad, and some recpies from their fabulous customer service rep.  If you haven't tried Yancey's, you must! It's delish!

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...