Copenhagen day 2: design, explosions of colour and a stuffed polar bear

Friday, February 25, 2011

Day two in Copenhagen and I am all shopped out! (No, I'm not!) Tomorrow's another day and another neighbourhood to explore. I must say: if you love good design and have never been in Copenhagen, put it on your to-go-list. People say it's expensive, but apart from some restaurants and hotels I find prices very similar to the UK. Best of all, I have been totally inspired by everything I've seen so far. And the people are very friendly too!

I started off this morning at the Danish Design Center with wonderful exhibitions of furniture by the grand Danes Arne Jacobsen, Poul Kjaerholm, Hans Wegner and others, as well as everyday Danish design products such as coffee pots and bicycles. Functionally made with the user in mind, but beauty not forgotten. Superb place.

Then, walking via the impressing 'Black Diamond' library on the waterfront, I strolled back into the city for lots of shopping. Popped into some weird and wonderful places including an auction house with the most beautiful art and antiques (and a stuffed polar bear!). I suddenly remembered again why I decided to get that degree in History of Art, long time ago (because of art, that was, not because of polar bears). Couldn't afford any of it though, so swiftly moved on...

I ended up finding some wonderful items in more affordable shops such as Notre Dame, Gronlykke, Tiger and Sostrene Grene: cushions, colourful rugs, felt coasters, ceramic door knobs and Japanese cups and plates. Last but not least I went to the Marimekko store and bought a meter of black and white fabric for that £12 chair I got at the auction the other day. In the sale! You can imagine, I am a very happy bunny.

My feet are sore now, so maybe I will rent a bike tomorrow for my next adventure. But first... time for the sauna & spa, complimentary of my hotel. Yay! I am having such a great time - can you tell? ;-)

Here are some pictures of my day. They may be a little fuzzy due to taking them on my iphone. Oh yeah, I didn't shoot the polar bear (pardon the pun!) - so please take my word on that one...

---

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...