My "egg" before the chicken {coop}

Monday, February 28, 2011

Is it bad I have already begun making the decor for inside our new coop? Making my "eggs" before the chicken? The Captain has been smirking  that style of his when he is trying to stifle a laugh from bursting forth, with each completed project I have shared with him. I still have 2 weeks before pick up and have 2 signs made plus a "birdcage" style chandelier, that will cover the single light bulb inside the coop. Being it is only 6ft at the peak, I thought it best not to have a normal hanging chandelier. A cage style would work best for the humans and to prevent aerial chickens from busting the bulb with a wing. Nothing too fancy, but not something seen everyday either.
 I plan to add more wires between the spaces but I'll at least share a sneak peak of my progress:

I ran out of room on the wood signs for all the letters. Apparently in my excitement, I did not add room for the space between words while calculating in my head the proper size. So I put a crooked "s" on the end with a silly, quirky style. La Poulets roughly translates to "The Chickens". I could not find a sign long enough for my "Le poulet maison" {The chicken house}.
I went with the black crackle finish for the egg sign since the inside will be whitewashed with a lime & water paint. The Ol' fashioned method of painting which also deters bugs. The Black sign will be a nice contrast to the white walls. The brown dash will painted black. Not liking the way it looks in brown.
The Nest boxes will be painted a pastel Robins egg blue. The coop exterior will be painted with an exterior Kilz deep hide due to the OSB {particle style} board. This will hide the texture before I apply the final color of creamy yellow with white trimming.
The chicks have grown so fast. We put some sticks in for roosting, to which very few actually use. They were not impressed with my 4 in the morning picture taking:
I did find a few small decorative pieces while out buying the blank wood for signs. I knew exactly where they would go and now am focusing back to sewing a few pieces for my summer wardrobe. {lOvInG some of these romantic country tops at Aerie. Now to find a pattern {and get over my issue of button hole sewing}.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...