Need a Seat?

Monday, May 23, 2011

I am not finished with my teenage son’s room yet.  For a while now, I have been feeling like he needed some chairs or just something to sit on, and while I have been keeping my eye out for  something beckoning to be made over, I haven’t found anything.  Yet, over and over I kept seeing these sharp looking X Stools.  They are so popular and fit well with a lot of different design styles.  Do you have one in your home?

This one pictured above is from William Sonoma Home – for the astonishing price of $895!

I decided I would make a couple for the end of Austin’s bed, even though he said he didn’t like it and didn’t want it.   I figured these stools will be so flexible that I could always move them in to the “teen lounge” if he really didn’t like them after all.

Now looking at this little stool, I thought it would be easy and quick and I could finish this in a day or two!  Honestly, I started working on a pair over a month and a half ago!!! 

It all started with me wanting to learn how to use Google Sketch-Up.  I spent many many hours trying to self teach myself how to use the program.  I was so excited that I finally had a pattern that I printed off a color copy and took it over to show my parents.   After looking over my design, they quickly told me that it would be stronger if I notched the legs out at the center.  Well, I’m all for making furniture stronger when it comes to having it in a kid’s bedroom. 

Long story short, it can look really good on paper but to printout something that’s useable in terms of a pattern, then you do have to have some woodworking knowledge.  I’m working on it and hope that I can design some projects and patterns that I will be able to share in the near future.

X stoolsHere is where I am now.  The bases need to be primed and painted and the tops need to be upholster.

X stool diy design

Oh, did I mention that I don’t have any money invested it this!!!  Just using up some scrap lumber, foam off an old chair that went to the dump, and some fabric that I picked up cheap a few months back.  Love Love Love me some FREE projects!!!  Have I ever mentioned that I’m cheap frugal thrifty?

x stool fabric choices Now my son has several choices to make…..

      1. What color to make the base? White or Silver
      2. Which fabric?  Pattern or Solid

What combination would you choose?

Come back to see the finished X STOOLS!!

Carrie_thumb[5]

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...