Buckwheat Waffles

Friday, February 15, 2013

I recently discovered buckwheat at the class at Shars where they talked about sprouting.
In the class she used sprouted buckwheat to make granola.

I also learned that Buckwheat isn't really wheat at all.  Really it dosen't even look like wheat. 
It's more related to Rhubarb.

The health benefits are fabulous.
They are working on using it to treat Type II Diabetes, 
lower plasma cholesterol, and fat loss. 
It's also very high in protein, iron, zinc, and selenium.

Really who couldn't ask for more.

I have yet to try it in granoal, but I did buy some to try in waffles.
I think I'm in love!

We eat a lot of waffles at my house, alternating with the Heavenly Cream of Wheat,
and in moments of weakness, or tiredness... we have cold cereal.  
Sigh...
But when I ask what the kids want, they usually want waffles.
While I do love my whole wheat oat waffles, this new version is very tasty
and seems to stay firmer than the regular version.

It's super easy to make and this recipe makes about 9 waffles.

Buckwheat Waffles

Grind 3/4 cups of buckwheat
3/4 cup hard white wheat, or a blend of grains like spelt, kamut, and wheat.
Put 2 cups water in the blender then add,
2 cups fresh ground flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp honey or sweetener of your choice

Blend well.

Pour on waffle iron and let cook acording to manufacturers directions.

Serve hot.


This is my favorite way to eat one with a little peanut butter, applesauce, bananas, and strawberries.

For Valentines Day I made these for my kids.  I added 3 strawberries to the batter in the blender and some food coloring, then sprinkled chocolate chips on top before closing the waffle iron lid.
Either way, a super yummy power packed breakfast for you and yours!

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...