"Summer Social" Guest Project -- Make a Mod Podge Silhouette Canvas!!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011


D7K_5781





Hello!


IMG_9279web


I’m Char from Crap I’ve Made, where I blog about….the crap I make. 



I love fountain Diet Cokes and cookies. I also love Jen and I’m kind of mad that my step mom (who is her neighbor) didn’t introduce us like 7 or 8 years ago.







Winking smile I’m a mom to 4 insanely cute kids


D7K_5545
(See?)


who are all home for the summer and driving me a *little* bit nuts. So, I wanted to come up with a project we could work on together. 





We came up with this silhouette canvas.


D7K_5787


Supplies: 


  • Canvas 

  • Old magazines &; scissors 

  • Mod Podge 

  • Acrylic craft paint
    Stain (optional) 

  • Sandpaper









1. First, you’re going to let your kids go nuts cutting up magazine pages.


D7K_5753
(The kid on the table in pajamas in the middle of the day in the background is totally optional.)


We tried to pick pages with a lot of color (as opposed to black and white text), but that was really the only direction I gave them.





2. Once you have a whole bunch of cut up magazines, you’ll want to Mod Podge them to a canvas. There’s also no rhyme or reason to this, just make sure you cover the entire canvas.


D7K_5754


No need to have a panic attack that everything’s not smooth…some lumpy/puckered/not perfect parts are encouraged!


D7K_5757






3. Once it’s good and dry, trace your silhouette with a pencil on the canvas.


D7K_5759


I went with this bird on a branch design from the Silhouette library. I think a big initial or monogram would look fabulous as well. Or how about a chevron pattern on the whole thing? (That was for you, Jen Winking smile)


{lol - thanks Char!!}


4. Once you’ve traced, you’ll want to fill in the rest of the canvas with craft paint. There are no pictures of this step because my daughter/back up photographer and I were both doing the painting.


D7K_5762


YOU CAN ABSOLUTELY STOP NOW. I like this look and I probably would have stopped now if our silhouette had been something more graphic.





I decided to take some sandpaper to the painted area so that some of our magazines would peek through.


D7K_5765


Again, YOU CAN ABSOLUTELY STOP NOW! There’s really no wrong way to do this…just go with what you like!





5. I applied some stain next.


D7K_5767


I put it on streaky and wiped some off.


D7K_5781


YOU CAN ABSOLUTELY STOP NOW.





6. I, however, did not. I watered down a few more shades of acrylic paint and did some more streaking (not that kind…what kind of blogger do you think I am?) and a little splattering.


D7K_5787


YOU CAN ABSOLUTELY STOP NOW…because I totally did.


D7K_5791














Isn't she awesome?????  

I adore Char.


1. First of all -- She's insanely funny!!





2. Secondly, she doesn't take herself too seriously.





3. She a great mom and friend.





4. She loves COLOR -- just like me!! 





And 5. She's talented and so smart (she knows math - ha).



Check out her great ideas----







Have you seen Char's Green Shutters?? I may come and steal them out of her house one of these days....




Another item I plan on stealing -- her Yellow Buffet. So pretty!




I've seen this Laptop Sleeve in person -- it's so cute!! Char knows how to sew too!!





You will adore Char -- just like I do. 


Make sure to follow her for great ideas AND laughs!!! 






And we will both be at The Creative Connection conference this fall!!





It's an exciting conference that bring together creative women with hands-on workshops in all sorts of creative areas plus social networking and business panels to help those with handmade bhusinesses. And TCC has just joined forces BlogHer as its official media partner and Mary Janes Farm. Be sure to check TCC out!






xoxoxo




PS -- If you are going on a trip this Summer - print off some of these Free Luggage Tags from Living Locurto! 

Aren't they fun?






Have a Happy Day!!











Labels: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...