Thrifty Goodies

Friday, July 15, 2011

Happy Friday!

I have had another busy week of events and it’s been hard to fit in any blogging.  Thank you to all you wonderful readers that are patient with me when I’m a little behind on posting and a huge THANK YOU for all of you that take the time to leave such sweet comments!  It motive me to keep going.

Many of you went  thrifting this Saturday on Mr. Goodwill’s national “Thrifting Day”.  I was planning to attend the well organized thrifting event in Columbia, SC, but a local reader, Sharon, turned me on a few thrift stores.  I’m so glad she did because I definitely have a few new “hot spots” to add to my stomping grounds!!

Here are a few new treasures I found……

thrift store weights

Even though I should be using these weights myself ha ha, I picked them up for my teenage son who loves to workout.

I remember as a young girl being dragged to all sorts of flea markets. Usually these trips occurred while on our family vacations.   Now I, myself,  do not drag my kiddos to the thrift store/flea markets with me but I like to find things for them just to show them that there are treasures to be found outside of a mall.

thrift store artwork

While paying for the weights, I spotted this lovely Tuscan wall art hanging on the wall.  I just knew I had to have it.

Oops!

On my way to the next thrift store I had to stop quickly and the frame slid off the back seat and landed on the weights setting on the floor and tore up both bottom corners of the frame.  Well, the frame was in my possession for all of 2 minutes before I started it’s transformation! 

I think I should be able to fix it by trimming  the mat and the glass and cutting new 45 degree corners on the frame. 

thrift store bin

I walked around this bin about 5 times.  Touching it, picking it up, and just starring at it before deciding on purchasing it.  The lid is broken off at the hinges and it was a few dollars more than I thought it was really worth.  In the end, I bought it because I think I can create two projects out it.

Here’s what is running through my head: 

The base-  I’m thinking it will make a perfect planter for a faux tree by detaching the lid, touching it up with some stain or paint and adding some moss to the top.

The lid-  Two ideas popped in my head.  1.  Flip it over, add some handles to the side, and use it as a tray.  2.  Touch up the outside with stain or paint and mount a small artifact or frame.   It will be great for adding texture and depth to an otherwise plain or too small object. 

What would you do with it?

Carafe

I finally purchased three Carafe that I have been wanting for a long time.  I actually spotted three back in the winter.  For months I went  into the thrift store and just longed for them setting there among other glassware but never brought myself to buy them.  They weren’t expensive, I just wondered if I would really use them and where I would store them.  After months and months of seeing them, I finally decided to purchase them….. well don’t you know they were gone!  Yes, “a day late and dollar short” should be my motto. 

When I found three of them setting at another thrift store, I didn’t hesitate.  Even paid a $1.50 more!  I learn new lessons everyday. 

You really need to pick up some for yourself (if you haven’t already)!  I have been having so much fun with these Carafes on our weekend brunches!  Who knows….. maybe I will start entertaining more!?!?!

Carrie

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...