Acid Mirror for the Master Bedroom!

Sunday, September 25, 2011


So, ever since I saw this awesome tutorial from Mandi @ Vintage Revivals I've been wanting to do an acid mirror.  I've seen them popping up and I love how they look!

A few months back I found an awesome ginormous mirror at an estate sale for $10.  Yes, please!

Here is how it looked before:


I busted out my paint remover and got started on the back.


Yeah, this is where things went terribly wrong.  I seriously think I used about 5-6 coats of paint remover in total.  While trying to remove the back, I cracked the mirror.  Awesome! The brand you see pictured really didn't do much for me so I went and bought a heavy duty paint remover.  It worked a little better but still didn't get all the back off.  Oh well!

While I was going through that ordeal I worked on painting the frame.  First I sanded, then primed, then painted it white.


After it dried I went over it with my Valspar antiquing glaze.  I love how it makes the detail pop.  I left it on pretty heavy.


After I removed as much of the back as I could I poured the acid straight on the back.  At first I didn't think it was working.  I sprayed it off with my hose and it had not changed at all, so I poured on some more acid.  I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes then checked it again.  It had worked more than I wanted it to.  Dang! Oh well!

I let it dry outside then cut my fabric to size.  I used my Elmer's spray glue to adhere the fabric to the back of the mirror.  Somehow during all of this another crack formed off the first crack I made.  Good thing I'm not the superstitious type! I got it all set up and hung on the wall and now I love it!


You can really see the cracks in this photo:

Here is a photo with just the lamps on - I love the ambience!


Here is a close-up of the frame and acid mirror - it is REAL hard to photograph a mirror.  There is always something reflecting in it and it distorts the image!


I've been wanting to do a project to go above the bed for a long time, so I'm glad to have it finished! I love it!!


Cheers!!
Keeping It SimpleDomestically SpeakingAnything RelatedTuesday To Do PartyPhotobucketmommahenscoopPhotobucketSomewhat Simple Catch a Glimpse ButtonTransformation ThursdayHookingupwithHoHfreckled laundryThe Shabby Nestbutton+FTF.jpgDesigner GardenUndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucketPhotobucket36th Avenue504 Main

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...